85 Airedale Street CBD Auckland 1010
CategoriesNZ ENGLISH ACADEMY
IELTS PreparationThis training focuses on English Language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking; including pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary in authentic contexts whilst preparing students explicitly for their future IELTS examination. This includes testing and examination preparation, practicing a range of test-taking strategies, and exposure to meeting time limits. Authentic language learning includes examining academic texts from a variety of perspectives, formal and informal academic texts, academic writing conventions & writing, academic oral presentations & conventions, listening to academic materials, reading and writing academic texts, as well as exploring and developing English language capability in the students in areas of specific interest. Students examine and utilise contemporary Academic Word Lists. Students review various complex texts, engage in critical discussions, debates and academic arguments. Students explore their academic learning aspirations by continuously refining topics and focusing questions with assistance from their peers and teachers.
IELTS410—ENGLISH FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES (20 CREDITS) – LEVEL 4Course Aim To enable students to understand the main ideas of complex spoken texts in mostly familiar topics under timed and test conditions. To enable students to understand moderately complex texts on familiar and some less familiar topics under timed and test conditions. Course Learning Outcomes
- Write complex texts on familiar topics under timed conditions.
- Write texts under test conditions in English for academic purposes under timed conditions.
- Write a crafted text using research material in English for an academic purpose.
- Read and process information in English for an academic purpose under test conditions.
- Demonstrate understanding of spoken texts and process information in English for an academic purpose under timed conditions.
- Week 8: Timed Writing Test (50%)
- Week 12: Timed Reading & Writing Tests (50%)
IELTS420—ENGLISH SPEAKING & LISTING SKILLS (20 CREDITS) – LEVEL 4Course Aim To enable students to speak with increasing fluency and in order to communicate information, ideas and thoughts on familiar and sometimes unfamiliar topics in discourse in a range of formal and informal settings. Course Learning Outcomes
- Deliver an oral presentation in English for an academic purpose under timed conditions.
- Speak with fluency and spontaneity to communicate information, ideas and thoughts, with some examples and details, in a range of familiar and unfamilar contexts.
- Understand main ideas and key supporting details of complex oral texts in a range of familiar and unfamiliar contexts.
- Week 4: Mini Presentation (Formative)
- Week 11: Specific Language Readings Portfolio (50%)
- Week 14: Presentation & Written Explanation (50%)